Guidance notes and online application
Successful applicants for SSA Post-Doctoral Transitional Development funding can receive salary support for up to 12 months towards post-doctoral development of research applications, provided that the host University makes at least a matching contribution (i.e. at least 50 per cent towards salary and other costs). The research proposal must be relevant to, and supportive of,the objectives of the SSA.
The funding will provide The Society’s contribution (a maximum of 50 per cent) towards a basic academic pre- or post-doctoral salary, in accordance with the criteria and scales of the host university – estimated at approximately £20-24,000 over a maximum 12 month period, inclusive of national insurance and superannuation etc, to be matched by the host University. It is anticipated that up to three awards may be made through any one year.Applicants must be SSA members or graduating student associates who are within one year of completion of their doctoral thesis.
- Applicants must either have completed their doctorate, or have submitted their thesis and be awaiting examination or undertaking corrections
- Applicants must already be members or student associates of the Society at the time of application
- Applicants must be resident in the UK
- Study must be undertaken at a UK institution
- Applications are accepted at any point throughout the year
- Where an application relates to a part-time position, then the 50 per cent funding potentially awarded by the Society applies to the part-time position (i.e. Society support would comprise up to half the costs of the part-time position)
- Support will not be provided to candidates also in receipt of funding from the alcohol, tobacco and gambling industries
- This scheme is pending possible amendments which will be made here as soon as they are finalised, but will run until August 2019, before further review.