In the first full lecture of the qualitative methods conference series, Professor Carol Emslie talks about using qualitative methods to research alcohol use and social identity among LGBT+ people in Scotland. The lecture gives an overview of the qualitative methods (including thematic analysis) that were used, and includes worked examples of data collection, data management, coding and analysis.
In contrast to the interviews that we have released so far (see below), this is a 45-minute lecture covering qualitative methods in detail. So, make sure that you are comfortable, have a pen and paper to hand and keep distractions to a minimum.
We hope you enjoy the first of four masterclasses in qualitative addictions research.
The qualitative methods conference series
- Week 1 – interview with Professor Carol Emslie
- Week 2 – interview with Dr Polly Radcliffe
- Week 3 – interview with Professor Gerda Reith
- Week 4 – interview with Dr Caitlin Notley
- Week 5 – lecture by Professor Carol Emslie
- Week 6 – lecture by Professor Gerda Reith
- Week 7 – lecture by Dr Caitlin Notley
- Week 8 – lecture by Dr Polly Radcliffe