In the second lecture of the qualitative methods series. Professor Gerda Reith talk about the gambling careers study. This longitudinal qualitative study ran from 2006 to 2011 and involved 176 interviews. Gerda talks about how the research team managed, and analysed, large amounts of qualitative data using a matrix-based approach. The lecture includes worked examples of qualitative data analysis using the Framework software package (software later incorporated into NVivo 10). Using these techniques, the team were able to plot, and compare, changes in gambling behaviour and experiences over time.
As with last week, this is a full lecture that covers qualitative research methods in detail. So, if you don’t have time now, put it in your calendar for a time when you can give it your full attention. We hope you enjoy this second masterclass in qualitative addictions research.
The qualitative methods conference series
- Week 1 – interview with Professor Carol Emslie
- Week 2 – interview with Dr Polly Radcliffe
- Week 3 – interview with Professor Gerda Reith
- Week 4 – interview with Dr Caitlin Notley
- Week 5 – lecture by Professor Carol Emslie
- Week 6 – lecture by Professor Gerda Reith
- Week 7 – lecture by Dr Caitlin Notley
- Week 8 – lecture by Dr Polly Radcliffe